LongChurch_6

Down Hatherley Parish Council

The Down Hatherley Parish Council meets approximately monthly. Minutes of their meetings are posted on noticeboards around the village and will also be available below.

Contact Information:

David Bayley (Clerk) downhatherleyparishcouncil@gmail.com (01452) 501796

Dave Evans (Chair) dave180750@hotmail.co.uk (01452) 730729

Other members:

Rick Minter rickminter@easynet.co.uk (01452) 739142

June Watt junewatt@fsmail.net

Nina Dyke nina.b@live.co.uk

Borough Councillor: Graham Bocking councillor.bocking@tewkesbury.gov.uk 07719 723792

County Councillor: Phillip Awford phillip.awford@gloucestershire.gov.uk (01452) 840126
07411 050293

DOWN HATHERLEY PARISH COUNCIL

The next meeting will take place on Wednesday April 12th
in the Village Hall at 7pm

THE “ANNUAL PARISH MEETING” WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE START

A G E N D A (FOR THE MAIN MEETING)
1) Present

2) Apologies

3) Announcements by the Chairman

4) Members of the Public (10 minutes) To receive brief comments and questions from members of
the public present which may be answered now, during the meeting, or at a subsequent meeting

5) Minutes of the Last Meeting

6) Declarations of Interest

7) Matters Arising from the Minutes

8) County Councillor’s Report

9) Borough Councillor’s Report

10) Roads, Pavements and Footpaths

11) Planning (i) - Planning applications
(ii) - Neighbourhood Planning Group -progress

12) Special Item: The JCS

13) Gloucestershire Airport Matters

14) Finance

15) Correspondence

16) Any Other Business Recent applications for co-option

17) Parishioners’ Questions Those present are again invited to comment on the evening’s deliberations and to place any questions before the council. Some questions may more appropriately be answered at the next meeting.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC AND PRESS ARE
CORDIALLY INVITED TO ATTEND

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY

MARCH 1ST 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL
~125~

7.15pm – 8.45 Residents’ Meeting

This was called by the PC to give information about the latest developments over the Joint Core Strategy(JCS), the Neighbourhood Development Plan(NDP), and proposals for large-scale housing development and a new link road in Longford, Innsworth, Twigworth and Down Hatherley.
Around 60 residents attended, and talks, using large-scale maps, were given by parish councillors, the County & Borough councillors for this area & the Chairman of the NDP. The meeting was led by Cllr. Minter of Down Hatherley PC who assured everyone that the PC’s had been tireless in vigorously opposing the proposals. The speakers all felt that the Borough had been aggressive in fulfilling the demands of the JCS remit, that the Environment Agency’s data gathering was tardy and in some respects outdated, and that one expert employed to progress the issue “was not fresh and independent”.
The prospect of huge future traffic congestion was felt to be an even greater threat than that of flooding.
They audience was assured that endeavours were in hand to make a legal challenge and donations might be asked of the public towards this. The JCS process was being steamrollered along using unfair tactics during which local representation at important meetings had been denied. The Government’s draft conclusions on the JCS were expected before the end of the year.

9pm – 10.25 The Parish Council meeting

-1- Present: Mr D.Evans(Chairman), Mr R.Minter, June Watt, County Cllr. Mr P.Awford,
Borough Cllr. Mr G.Bocking and 9 members of the public.
-2- Apologies: Cllr. Nina Dyke
-3- Members of the Public: No comments.
-4- Chairman’s Opening Remarks: The meeting would progress as quickly as possible due to the lateness of the hour.

-5- Minutes of the Last Meeting: Previously circulated, they were signed.
-6- Matters Arising: Highways had assured the Clerk that the deterioration of the road surface near the Dowty corner was now in their repair programme. Lorry Watch…The Clerk had been informed by the Road Safety Partnership that they would inquire on the best way to report weight infringements as the Clerk had said it seemed unnecessarily complicated.
Closed footway from Brook Lane… The Clerk had consulted with the Orchard Park management, and he would now be writing to the Rights of Way department.

-7- County Councillor’s Report: (He had commented extensively at the earlier meeting on the JCS and the threat of unwise development in this area.) The Borough’s Budget- This had now been set at a Council Tax increase of 1.9%. Within this, adult social care would receive a 2.3% increase. The Lengthmen’s Scheme- This was for minor road tidying work in rural areas and its continuance was welcomed as was his on-going £30k for small highway projects.
Government Infrastructure Grant- He was dismayed not to have been informed of this sudden £26.3m. announcement for infrastructure improvements in this immediate area.
-8- Borough Councillor’s Report: He considered a current proposal to reduce the size of refuse bins & the frequency of collections to be a silly one, and he would oppose it. He made further comments on local flooding issues and on Localism, of which NDP’s were a striking example of it at work.

-9- Roads, Pavements and Footpaths: Cllr. Minter, Roads Rep. reported on the following-- A38 “Gateway” at Norton… He would re-circulate details of this to councillors. Lorry Watch signs… The current ones were likely to suffer from wind damage & the Clerk was asked to order 3 of the next smaller size.
Recent accident at the A38 junction… This appeared to have been a substantial impact & he would stress this to Highways since such information could have bearing on any future re-design of this junction. Use of Lengthsmen… Hand scraping of weed-strewn gutters along D.Hath.Lane would be a useful task to book in. Lamp-post (no. 124)… not lighting up at the A38/Down.Hath.Lane junction. The Clerk had reported this twice in the last 3 weeks. Footpath clearance via the Community Payback scheme… Cllr.Watt reported that the recent day’s work had been quite a success & it had also included some litter-picking.

-10- Planning: Woodfold Court – 3-bed house… This would be obvious inappropriate Green Belt development & the Clerk was asked to check on the current status of this application.
New hard track off Wood Lane… It seemed(possibly) too substantial for agricultural needs and the clerk was asked to request that the Enforcement Officer make a visit.
Holmwood, Twigworth… The Clerk to inquire about the progress of this proposed garden development application.
THE NDP… The re-drafted version was with Borough planning officials and their feedback was awaited.

-11- Gloucestershire Airport: Helicopter turning activity over the church had increased recently and proved that the PC’s efforts to have the new guidelines enforced were failing.
Cllr.Evans said that the Airport was going to trial a turning height directive of 700 feet (up from 600 feet) at the next appropriate time. This was encouraging but there was the need to monitor it.

-12- Finance: Recent cheques signed –
-117 £55.50 -Biz stationery (Newsletter printing / map enlargement / stationery)
118 £500 -D.Bayley (Clerk’s 6 month sal.)
119 £125 -HMRC (PAYE on above)
120 £136.43 –D.Bayley (Clerk’s annual expenses, detailed)
122 £36 -CPRE (subscription)
Annual donations - It was decided to defer any decision, particularly to the PCC
until a later date. The Clerk to research the status of contributions to the PCC.

-13- Correspondence:
Highways England – notice of 6 week closure of Bamfurlong Lane / M5 overbridge due
to concrete cancer.
Dog fouling quarterly request for information.
Request for interest in Magistrate training
Invitation to next Town/Parish seminar, March 28th
“Tackling Flooding” seminar in London on April 27th
Police & Crime Showcase Event, Barnwood, March 30th.
Defibrillation training… at D.Hatherley Manor on Thursday March 9th. Free event of
about one hour.

-14- A.O.B: A Newsletter had recently been distributed to all homes in both parishes. The main content was a 2-page article, written by Cllrs Evans & Minter about the state of JCS progress and the several huge house-building threats to this area. An appeal for expressions
of interest in becoming a parish councillor was made since both council are operating below their full n umber of 5.

There being no further business or comment from the public, the Chairman hastily closed the meeting at 10.25pm

NEXT MEETING: April 12th (Annual Parish Meeting)

Signed………………………………………………… Date………………………

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 18TH 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL, 7PM

~124~

(1) Present: Ms Nina Dyke, Mr D.Evans(Chairman), Mr R.Fox and 8 members of the public.

(2) Apologies: June Watt, Rick Minter, Philip Awford (County Cllr.), Graham Bocking (Boro’Cllr.)

(3) Members of the Public: No questions.

(4) Chairman’s Opening Remarks: He welcomed Nina Dyke as a co-opted member, and she signed
the Declaration of Acceptance of Office. Sadly, for Cllr. Roger Fox this would be his last meeting
since he was moving away, and he was given a major vote of thanks for his work for the PC and for
Down Hatherley in general. A member of the public rose to say that the community at large would
like to be associated with the sentiments expressed by the Chairman.

(5) Minutes of the Last Meeting:
Signed as correct and had been previously circulated.

(6) Declarations of Interest:
None.

(7) Matters Arising from the Minutes:
Defibrillator training … This had now been arranged for Thursday March 9th, at Down Hatherley Manor, 6 – 7.30pm. There would be no charge and it would be advertised in the forthcoming Newsletters of D.Hath. & Twigworth PC’s & delivered to every home.
It would also be placed on both websites and in the Severn Towers magazine.
Scabbing in DHLane near Dowty corner… Despite some recent pothole repairs the scabbing remained, now well over a year, and would continue to deteriorate. The Clerk to write yet again to Highways.

(8) (9) Borough Councillor and County Councillor Reports:
Not available.

(10) Roads, Pavements and Footpaths:
Need to confirm “Gateway” designs at side of A38,Norton….
The 2 designs would again be circulated to cllrs. Decision to be sent to Highways. It was noted that the broken bollards in the church bend area had been repaired. A member of the public commented on recent damage to several telegraph poles along the 30mph section, noting that the damage outside the Village Hall was quite clearly “more than a 30mph hit”. Lorry Watch signs… Two had been framed by the Clerk to strengthen them but cllrs. still needed to walk in the Lane and decide the best location.
The Clerk was asked to inquire about the correct procedure for reporting lorry weight violations. Repair of local footpaths… A P.R.O.W. (“Rights of Way) team had now installed a kissing gate and improved paths in several locations and effected considerable improvements; remarkably good work in fact. Cllr. Watt was still in the process of arranging for a ‘Community Payback’ working party to give a day’s work. The Village Hall had to be available for the use of facilities.
Closed access from Brook Lane through Orchard Park… Twigworth PC had been told by the management that alternative access, elsewhere, would be made available in due course. But the Clerk was asked to ask PROW to investigate the legal position since although this was a private, never a public, walking route it was used for decades before the Orchard Park site was established.

(11) Planning:
There were no new applications for the council to consider.
Permitted: Woodfold Court: extensions & re-location of entrance to Wood Lane.
Drymeadow (Innsworth) 1363 house application by Hitchins… The developer had now launched
an appeal on the grounds of non determination by the TBC. The PC would continue to oppose
it, one serious ground being the likelihood of floodwater flow directly over the Down Hatherley
boundary.

NDP: With the draft plan now submitted for scrutiny by the Borough, several objections had been made and by various planning officers. This was more so than expected and cllrs. questioned if there was an element of tactical delay. For clarity, the NDP Chairman was seeking a meeting with the TBC.

JCS: This is the overwhelming topic of concern for local people. The full Borough Council meeting on January 31st could provide crucial decisions over whether Twigworth (and part of Down Hatherley) would eventually be built over. Cllr. Evans said that no one could have worked more tirelessly to retain this vulnerable area as open ground than councillors Awford and Bocking. They were carefully scrutinizing every meeting of planners and the CEO’s comments. There was still great uncertainty and cause for worry. Should any further protest expense be incurred in the near future, cllrs. authorised a further allocation could be made to the NDP account up to £250.

(12) Gloucestershire Airport:
There was still no perceptible noise abatement for arrivals & departures over the parish, but it was a relief to know that sensible procedures were now in place. Apparently the question whether the departure height ceiling be raised from 600 feet to700 feet was still under the Airport’s consideration.

(13) Finance:
Cheques recently signed: 022115 (£72) 6 months’ hall hire for meetings (‘Down Hatherley Village Hall’)
116 (£720) NDP professional advice (‘PJS Development Solutions Ltd.’)

2017 – 2018 Precept request… The clerk presented outline figures of the previous 3 years precept &
annual spend (not including NDP monies). The Chairman made the
point that although a parish of small population, the council was just
about at the bottom of precept request in the Borough.

After a robust debate it was decided on an increase of £400 to £3200.

(14) Any Other Business:
None.

NEXT MEETING: March 1st

The meeting ended at 8.28pm

Signed……………………………………………….Date…………………….